Saturday, March 29, 2014

Lord Farquaad Ruling costume, start of Wedding costume

Lord Farquaad is coming together.   The Ruling costume is shown below, almost finished.  Still have to attach the cummerbund (pinned at this point), fix the cape attachment point, and finish up a few little things.



The Wedding costume will follow the same design, with white fleece instead of blue, cream corduroy instead of red, white satin instead of blue, cream crushed panne instead of red sparkle, and different trim.  Here are the fabrics:


I couldn't resist the fur for trimming the cape!  I hope it turns out as well as I have pictured it in my mind.

Here I want to show how the puffed sleeves are done.   The cutting layout for the sleeve is shown below, with the strips of corduroy used for the stripes pinned in place.  The lower edge of the sleeve is shown at the top.  It is pinned to the fleece band that will attach to the puff sleeve.   The stripes for the puffed sleeve will be turned under ¼” and sewn as shown in the next picture.









The Wedding costume has gone much quicker now that I am just copying the Ruling costume and using patterns  I made along the way.  Here is the finished tunic.  It is still on the female mannequin but I have it over the he-man chest padding costumer Paulette Morgan made.


Still to complete are the hat, cape, and attaching the gloves to the gauntlets.   And I still have to do the closures (ties) on the back of both tunics and fitting of the cape to the Ruling tunic.  So close! 

Dress rehearsal is Tuesday.  I am nervous about how the costumes will do when the actor is wearing them onstage.  Will they shift?  Twist?  Fall apart?  Have some malfunction?  Get dirty?  Get sweaty?  Luckily I will have costume master Michael Morgan on hand to advise!





4 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn,

    Your costumes are fantastic!! I am also assigned the task of creating Lord Farquaad costumes. I am a bit at a loss as to where to begin with the shape of the tunic. Did you work from an existing pattern or create your own? I've never designed my own pattern before, so I'm a little worried. Any help, advice, guidance, or patterns you can pass on to me would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, thanks for the compliment! I used front and back pattern pieces for a tunic from a men's costume pattern. Since our actor was slim, we made a "chest" by taking a man's undershirt, cutting off the arms, and attaching batting to the front. Attaching the batting to the inside of the tunic could have worked just as well. In the back of the tunic, I attached ribbons about every 4" down the back opening. This would allow the tunic to adjust to different sized actors, in case the company rents out the costumes.

      Delete
    2. Hi Dawn, great work....don't suppose you'd be interested in making another Lord Farquaad Ruling costume? I am not a seamstress and need to find a costume for my son for his musical in March.

      Delete
  2. Would you consider selling or renting your Lord Farquaad costumes? (if you still have them?) Our show is in February....

    ReplyDelete